1-9 Online teacher instruction
Live Online 1-9 @ Palliser Beyond Borders
Palliser Regional Schools is committed to running this program for the entire year next academic year if there is enough expressed interest.
Why choose this program?
- We have successful experience delivering a vibrant online learning experience for elementary, junior high students.
- Our program builds student teacher relationships to support successful student learning.
- Our students ARE successfully learning online.
- Our students ARE engaged and successfully learning through project based, cross curricular opportunities to show their learning.
- We celebrate and love to see our students' learning. (See some samples below)
Choose us if you want:
- high quality education
- expert teachers
- safe and caring online learning environment
- flexibility in curriculum delivery
Decisions will be made by the week of May 31 and parents will be contacted to confirm if the program will run and with registration details if the program is to run.
Palliser Beyond Borders is pleased to offer the K-9 Live Online program, should we have enough expressed interest for the 2021-2022 school year:
The program will offer:
- Daily synchronous instruction in google meets
- Recorded lessons
- Access to lessons in a Google classroom
- Opportunity learn offline following teacher instruction
- classes will be cohort based. this will be determined by expressions of interest and later by student learning needs.
- project based learning
- cross curricular Palliser teacher instruction across the 4 core subject areas (following the Alberta Program of Studies) in a delivery called Live Online. (Language arts/ social studies and math /science)
- Health and wellness and technology instruction offered across all instructional areas
Students will be expected to:
- join instruction with their teacher on a daily basis.
- have reliable internet access
- have a working headset, camera, and computer
- have the support of a parent who can work as a learning partner with our teacher to help manage navigation, assignment completion and communication with the teacher.
If you select to register your child in this program: You are asked to make a commitment for the whole school year. We will not be able to accommodate requests to transition back and forth between brick and mortar school instruction and online instruction. Should you express interest and register if the program does run, your child will be registered for the full academic year for online instruction.
See these fabulous examples of student learning from our student cohort 2020-2021
Grade 1 students learn online and offline. Students will share their learning from the offline world and bring them online through images and camera. The online world is part of the ways we build community with the teachers and students. We rely on our parents as learning partners to help us engage students in their learning when they are offline.
Grade 3 students participating in a a collaborative Reading activity:
Students in grade 5 share their learning in social studies which integrates language arts and math in a presentation that is shared live in our class with other students.
Our students are learning about building life long learning portfolios, learning to identify personal interests and goals. In addition they are learning to use a variety of technologies to show their learning and to understand how digital citizenship applies to them
A Grade 6 Social Studies project integrates language arts, social studies and math. Students were joined by Town counsellors and the mayor of Coaldale to share and celebrate their learning.
Junior high students share art work in a media project
In junior high Social Studies Project students gather examples of artifacts from the Renaissance that demonstrate different aspects of Worldview.
In junior high, students use the website "Once Upon a Picture" to use a picture prompt of their choosing which has writing prompt questions they answer based on the picture.
Testimonials from parents and students
Student/teacher relationships, friendships, communication and learning takes place through a variety of mediums (Google Chat, email, Google Meet in groups and one on one, etc.) which strengthen and reinforce learning opportunities at Palliser Beyond Borders.
Kaisa, student with Palliser Beyond Borders, discusses her experiences of learning online.
From parent, Chantelle: Our son Bennett [grade 4] is currently enrolled with Palliser Beyond Borders in Grade 4 with Mrs. Okada. Our decision to go with online learning this year was a health based one and we weren't really sure what to expect. However, we are very happy with our decision and would recommend this option to anyone wanting an alternative to brick and mortar school. Bennett has really excelled in his studies this year.
Online learning has instilled in him a sense of personal responsibility for his own education. He has also responded well to the project based learning approach taken by his teacher instead of the standard worksheets and activities. Bennett has always been a very quiet and serious kid in the traditional classrooms of previous years. I have seen him come out of his shell and be eager to contribute to classroom conversations and activities, perhaps even too much! He is encouraged, particularly in math, to go above and beyond grade level work.
As a parent, I appreciate this targeted and individualized approach. Bennett had a very rough start in life medically and we weren't sure what effect it would have on his student life. I am so proud to see the work he does every day in school and how he has been guided to reach his potential.
I don't know what the future will bring but I am comforted knowing that this option is out there for families looking for a flexible way to educate their children without sacrificing quality of instruction.
Assessment in Live Online
Assessment practice: Students’ level of performance in each subject area will be determined based on:
- Daily demonstration of learning (formative assessment)
- Learning exemplars shared online
- Portfolio exemplars submitted to the teacher
- Summative assessments of key learning outcomes - portfolio, quizzing, oral or written assessments
- Celebrations of Learning
- Reporting will be done in Powerschool and shared with parents through the Powerschool portal based on sufficiency, recency, validity and consistency