Choice one: Follow the Alberta Program of Studies
Parents may choose to follow the Alberta Program of Studies. The curriculum may be delivered by the parent.
- In highschool, if the curriculum is delivered by the parent the student will not receive credit towards the Alberta High school diploma.
- If the student wants to earn credit, the curriculum must be delivered by a certificated Alberta teacher. This option is available through Palliser Beyond Borders online program.
- The online program may be delivered as the entire high school program or concurrently with another high school in Alberta.
- The learning outcomes for the alberta program of Studies is identified for each grade and subject at these websites:
- These I can statements can be used as a guide in planning for the focus in grades 1-9 by subject.
Assessment of the learning outcomes will be done by the parent if this home education pathway is chosen. The role of the facilitator will be to provide guidance to help ensure the students is at grade level in literacy and numeracy. Grade level is identified in the learning outcomes for these subject areas in each grade. A year end celebration of learning is designed for the students to share their learning and achievements of these learning outcomes. See more under the assessment tab.
Students whose learning plan follows this route may participate in the provincial achievement tests (PAT) in grades 6, 9 in language arts and math. If the student is following the Alberta Program of Studies in science and social studies they are expected to participate in these PAT's as well.