Quick view for diploma requirements or a more detailed overview here.
To earn an Alberta High School Diploma, a student must:
Earn a minimum of 100 credits
Successfully complete the following courses:
- English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2 or Francais 30
- Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2
- Mathematics 20-1 or Mathematics 20-2 or Mathematics 20-3
- Science 20 or 24 or Biology 20 or Chemistry 20 or Physics 20
Note: Successful completion of a diploma examination is required for English Language Arts 30 or 33 or Francais 30 and Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2. For those going to 30 – level mathematics and science courses, successful completion of a diploma examination is also required.
Successfully complete the following:
- Physical Education 10 (3 credits)
- Career and Life Management (CALM) (3 credits)
- 10 credits, in any combination, from:
- career and technology studies (CTS) OR
- fine arts or second languages OR
- Physical Education 20 and/or Physical Education 30 OR
- Locally developed/acquired and authorized courses, in CTS, fine arts or second languages
- Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP)
- Knowledge and Employability courses (K and E)
10 credits in any 30 – level courses (in addition to English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2 and Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2.)
- locally developed/acquired and authorized courses
- 3000 level CTS courses,
- 35 level Work Experience courses,
- 35 level Registered Apprenticeship courses,
- 33 level Green Certificate courses,
- 30 level Knowledge and Employability courses
Students may earn any number of credits in Work Experience, but only 15 credits may be used to meet the 100-credit requirement for the Alberta High School Diploma.
Students may earn any number of credits in the study of second languages, but only a maximum of 25 language credits
may be used to meet the 100-credit requirement for the Alberta High School Diploma.
To earn the credits assigned to all high school courses, you must achieve at least 50% (“C” standing) in each course
No credits are granted when the maximum credits have been previously awarded