Off Campus Programming
Off Campus Program Opportunities
Summary of Off Campus Program
Palliser Regional Schools is committed to promoting and facilitating meaningful career and vocational exploration opportunities for our students. Exploring potential careers will allow students to develop their passions, strengths and skills and prepare them for life beyond high school.
Off Campus Education Vision:
Igniting a Passion in Students for Lifelong Learning and Career Exploration
Off Campus Education Mission:
In keeping with Palliser’s overall mission, the career and vocational exploration team will encourage students to explore interests and gain skills to increase their success and confidence in becoming engaged global citizens. In order to do this effectively, our goal is to facilitate collaborative partnerships with community stakeholders that will encourage students to find their passion and work to their fullest potential.
This mission is also in keeping with the overall purpose for off campus education as set out by Alberta Education:
Alberta Education permits school authorities to develop off-campus education programs and courses in accordance with prescribed guidelines and procedures. Such programs allow junior and senior high school students to investigate a variety of career opportunities.
They also allow senior high school students to gain practical experience as they apply and expand their knowledge, skills and attitudes in contexts that will assist them in making wise decisions regarding their future education, training and employment upon leaving senior high school and allow for the smooth transition from school to work and/or post-secondary institutions. https://education.alberta.ca/off-campus-education/programs-of-study/
See the complete handbook here.
Travis earned his high school diploma and credits in work experience
Off Campus Education programs are designed to enrich the educational experiences of students and allow them to discover and investigate a variety of career opportunities. (Excerpts from Off-Campus Education Handbook)
- This program allows students to earn high school credits from on-the-job work experiences.
- Students gain practical experience as they apply and expand their knowledge, skills and attitudes in contexts that will assist them in making wise decisions regarding their future education, training and employment upon leaving senior high school and allow for the smooth transition from school to work and/or post-secondary studies.
- Community partnerships are developed to enhance student learning experiences by facilitating connections between students and experts or employers in areas of career interest.
- Students are responsible for being accepted as an employee, apprentice or volunteer in a workplace and must meet all of the employers or workplace expectations.
- May include either paid employment or volunteer activities.
In Alberta, there are a variety of off-campus education courses and programs. Palliser Regional Schools through our online school, Palliser Beyond Borders, gives the opportunity for students to learn and earn "beyond borders."
- Students can earn credits beyond the brick and mortar building by working "off campus" in the community under the supervison of a Palliser Teacher, our Off Campus Coordinator, and approved work site.
- Students earn credit beyond the 8:30-3:30 regular school schedule by learning and earning in the community.
Students registered in any high school within Palliser Regional Schools can earn credits through Palliser Beyond Borders for the following programs:
1. Work Experience (WE)
2. Green Certificate (GC)
3. Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP)
6. Career Internship
7. Dual Credit Programs in Calgary
8. Iron Worker's Program with Local 725 in southern Alberta
Click here for a presentation highlighting our Off Campus Programs offered through Palliser Beyond Borders.
For more information, please contact:
Off Campus Teacher (Coaldale, Coalhurst, Nobleford, Picture Butte, Vulcan and areas)
Palliser Beyond Borders
Off Campus Teacher (Calgary)
Palliser Beyond Borders
To participate in the Off Campus Education program, we require you to pre-register using your Palliser School Email (email@example.com) so that we can book an intake meeting with the Off Campus Coordinator to:
- further discuss how we can assist you in making wise decisions regarding your future education, training and employment upon leaving senior high school and
- allow for the smooth transition from school to work and/or post-secondary studies.
We will contact you to set up a meeting time.